So, at long last, I have a PLAN, actually a MENU for next week. I think I just passed my FIRST test at being a STAY AT HOME MOM!
I have been wanting to plan ahead, to prepare meals at home, and stop our impromptu visits to way too many local eating establishments. Planning is HARD work though, and I just didn’t have it in my up until now! This morning, I knew I needed to go to the market, so I sat down at my computer, asked for Tara’s input, and come up with a menu. Now, since Tara is being homeschooled starting Monday, I not only have to worry about breakfast , dinner and a snack, but I also had to think about lunch. When it was just me at home at lunch time, I would find something to throw together. Tara however, tends to be a bit more difficult. She was not accustomed to sandwiches for lunch, so I was always trying to think of other things. Well, this morning she informs me that , yes I do like sandwiches, as long as they are meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and mayo! Okay then, that certainly helps. Veggies and sides may vary from what I have here, but this is what I came up with, and what I have on hand!
So here it goes, my stab at three meals a day and a snack:
Breakfast (we can choose the one we want each morning) :
• Grits and Cheese (Tara LOVES grits)
• Multi Grain Cheerios w/banana
• Reeses Puffs (I know not so healthy, but okay occasionally)
• Egg White Omeletes with chopped spinach and cheese
• Yogurt and Fruit (blueberries or strawberries)
Lunches: (Soup and Sandwich, or just one or the other depending on the day!)
• Roast Beef, Turkey or Ham sandwich with lettuce, tomato (and or avacodo) on Healthy WhiteWheat (5 gms fiber) bread
• Soup – Cream of Mushroom, Tomato or Double Chicken Noodle
• Mandarin Oranges
• Baby Carrots
• Tuna Noodle Casserole
• Chili (with sour cream and/or grated cheese)
• Brown Rice
• Barilla Plus Penne Pasta, Ham and Broccoli casserole
• Wal-Mart – Take and Bake Cheese Pizza
• Steamed Spinach
• Barilla Plus Angel Hair Pasta, pasta sauce
• Tossed Salad
• Sauteed yellow squash (or some other recipe I might find)
• Chicken Rice Broccoli Casserole
Saturday (we are actually starting this cycle tonight 4/4 with this!)
• Easy Strogonoff
• Brownies (we will bake)
• Monkey Munch (I have been wanting to make this since I saw Kate on Jon & Kate Plus 8 make it!)
• Fruit – blueberries, strawberries, bananas
• FF Choc Ice Cream
(If you can’t tell Tara LOVES pasta. I use the Barilla Plus Pastas)
CHICKEN-RICE-BROCCOLI CASSEROLE (I think I might omit the stuffing mix, I think the rice is enough)
Printed from COOKS.COM
• 1 pkg. chicken Rice-a-Roni
16 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. milk
4 half chicken breasts
1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. curry powder
Stove Top stuffing mix
Cook chicken, cut into pieces. Cook Rice-a-Roni in chicken broth. Cook broccoli just tender-firm. Layer rice, chicken, broccoli and grated cheese in 9″x13″ casserole. Combine sauce ingredients and spread over top. Cover with stuffing mix. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until bubbly. Serves 10.
Recipe By : Southern Living
Serving Size : 4
• 1 Pound ground beef (extra lean)
• 1 medium Onion — chopped
• 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon Garlic salt
• 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
• 4 ounces Can sliced mushrooms
• 10 3/4 ounces Can Cream of Mushroom soup
• 8 ounces Sour cream
• Hot cooked noodles
Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat; drain.
Stir in flour and next 3 ingredients; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sour cream, and heat thoroughly.
Serve over noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Ham, Pasta & Broccoli
• 1 Box Penne Pasta
• 4 cups Broccoli
• 1 lb ham
• 1/3 cup Parm Cheese
Cook pasta according to directions. Add broccoli florets for the last two minutes of cooking. Drain. Add diced ham, and Parmesean Cheese.
EASY ONE-POT CHILI (I don’t always use a recipe, I just DUMP, and adjust liquids as needed!)
• 2 lbs. ground beef
• ½ cup onion, chopped
• 1 can tomato soup
• 1 Can tomato sauce
• 1 can tomato paste
• 2 15.5 oz. cans dark red kidney beans
• 1 can corn (Tara LOVES corn in her chili)
• chili powder as desired
• salt and pepper as desired
Brown ground beef with salt pepper and chopped onion; drain. Add tomato soup, tomato sauce, tomato paste, corn and spices
Bring to boil, simmer for 2 hours
Serve with Tostitos chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream.
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cooked peas
2 cans (about 6 oz. each) tuna, drained and flaked
2 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
½ cup. Corn flakes
1 tablespoon butter OR margarine, melted
PREHEAT oven to 400°F.
MIX soup, milk, peas, tuna and noodles in 1 1/2-qt. baking dish.
BAKE for 20 min.
MELT butter in skillet, add corn flakes, toss to coat, and brown slightly. Add to casserole for the last 5 min.
Puppy Chow or Monkey Munch Recipe
SERVES 10 -14
• 9 cups Chex cereal (any kind)
• 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (6oz.)
• 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, melted
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1-2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Measure cereal in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter for 1 minute on high. Stir.
3. Cook for 30 seconds longer or until smooth.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until coated.
6. Pour mixture into large Ziploc bag and add powdered sugar.
7. Shake until well coated.
8. Spread on waxed paper to cool.
9. Store in Ziploc bags or large sealed bowl.
10. Recipe Note: It helps to add cereal mixture a little at a time if you only have small bags.